Recent Posts

05 April 2010

Romance Through the Ages: A Brief History as Reflected in Popular Culture


Romeo and Juliet, William Shakespeare:

"O, she doth teach the torches to burn bright!
It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night
Like a rich jewel in an Ethiope's ear;
Beauty too rich for use, for earth too dear!
Did my heart love till now? forswear it, sight!
For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night."


"I Really Like Girls," George Thorogood and the Destroyers:

"I really really really really really really like girls
Yeah, I really really really really really really like girls
I like girls
I like girls
I like girls
I like the way that they giggle
when they walk up and ask you to dance
I like the way that they wiggle
wrapped up in their skin tight pants
they're really really neat
they're really sweet
they're real petite
I like girls."

6 comments:

Maria said...

But does he really really really like girls? I'm left unconvinced.

twg said...

Yeah, I feel that song was somewhat unclear.

Anonymous said...

I have a tough time distinguishing between the two. "I like the way the wiggle" is every bit as elegant as "a rich jewel in Ethiope's ear." And rhyming "giggle" with "wiggle"... brilliant. Shakespeare couldn't top that.

Ken said...

Not mentioned but every bit as poignant is this gem from the final verse, "They got smarts/They got parts".

Anonymous said...

How could you not mention that last verse?? That is, by far, the most moving poetry I have ever come across.

Ms Scarlett said...

Seriously... Shakespeare aint got nothing on Old George.... bet he can't even play the guitar.

XO

Post a Comment